Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Eve's Choice

Genesis 3:12-13
“And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the Lord said unto the woman, What is this that thou has done? And the woman saith, The serpent beguiled me and I did eat.”

God emphatically gave instructions to Adam and Eve about eating the fruit of the tree, but they fell short. They went against his wishes and did as they pleased. And just like other humans, they were reluctant to ‘fess up’ and say, “Yes, I did it, and I was wrong.” Instead they both passed the buck; Adam blamed Eve, and Eve blamed the serpent.

Aren’t we all a little like this? Almost daily I hear someone say, “If it weren’t for my children, spouse, parents, or friends, I’d have an education…or a better job. I might even move out of this one-horse town.” We all have choices. We can all be proactive and act of our own initiative. True, there are consequences to all of our choices, consequences that will affect not only us but others as well. Choosing responsibly takes those consequences into account since the decisions we make today can cast a long shadow on the future, ours and those of the ones we love. Yet blaming another for our mistakes or hard lot in life shifts the responsibility of decision making onto others rather than putting ourselves in the driver’s seat. A person with an internal locus of control, however, realizes that good or bad, wrong or right, he’s “the master of his fate.”

No comments: