Tuesday, November 11, 2008

This Moment

I went to a stake Relief Society meeting on Saturday and came away with yet another lesson from the story described in the 8th chapter of John about the woman caught in adultery. Haven’t you ever wondered where her “partner in crime” was? Our speaker related that some people think that he was actually one of the Pharisees who were her accusers.

That’s not the lesson I learned Saturday, however. What I learned was that the present moment is what’s important. What you did yesterday or ten minutes ago is not as important as what you’re doing right this moment. Christ was well aware of her lifestyle and her circumstances, but he didn’t condemn, chastise, or humiliate her. He simply told her to go and sin no more.

I don’t take that to mean that yesterday doesn't count, but I do believe that sometimes we get so caught up in past mistakes, disappointments, regrets, hurts, and sin that it blinds us to the forgiveness that is proffered at this very moment. It also blinds us to the hope and joy that can be experienced tomorrow IF we can let go, IF we can go and sin no more.

What I’ve been doing since Saturday is trying to be doubly conscientious about making the right choices from moment to moment. This moment is what counts. The Spirit, as our speaker reminded us, lives in the present. Beautiful sentiment, huh?

2 comments:

Putz said...

so that means the possibility is great that you haven't sinned much in the last half hour if you are really concentrating on living in the momment

Jayne said...

Trust me...it's hard, but I'm doing my best! What about you?