Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bathsheba's Charm

I've been thinking about Bathsheba lately. Remember her? She's the woman David spotted while she was bathing on a rooftop and decided that he had to have her for himself. He was the king, and I imagine it would be both hard and foolhardy to deny the king. As a result of their union, Bathsheba conceived a baby. This is where the plot thickens, for you see, she was married to Uriah, one of David's soldiers who was off fighting a war.

To wiggle his way out of the dilemma, David arranged for Uriah to come home, thinking that he would sleep with his wife and thus provide a legitimate reason for her pregnancy. Uriah, however, had too much integrity for that, so the king actually gave orders to send him to the front of the battle hoping Uriah would be killed. The plan worked, and David and Bathsheba were free to marry without shame. No one would be the wiser, right?

But wait, God knew of David's wicked scheme. So did the prophet Nathan. Nathan came to David with a story involving a rich man and a poor man. The rich man had many flocks and herds while the poor man had only one little lamb whom he loved and nourished. The rich man took the poor man's lamb and killed and dressed it for a traveler and spared his own large flock. In telling the story, Nathan made David see that what he had done was the exact same thing. He, the rich king, had taken Uriah's only lamb, Bathsheba. Although David clearly saw his sin and felt sorrow, God was displeased and took the life of his and Bathsheba's child.

I've read this story many times, even studied it in Sunday school classes, but it was only recently that I began to empathize with Bathsheba. Why was she on the rooftop bathing instead of the privacy of her own home? I don’t know the answer to that, but I do know that this wasn’t done in broad daylight. I’m thinking that it was when everyone else was sleeping and that perhaps David was having a bout of insomnia that led him outside to overlook the rooftops of the city.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this except to say that Bathsheba, in my opinion, was not as culpable as the king, and yet she too had to pay a huge price: the death of her husband and of her son. That was somewhat of a revelation to me because previously I had erroneously thought that she and David were “partners in crime.”

My other revelation is that I sense that many, many young women don’t realize the effect they have on men when they dress in provocative ways. They are often simply following the fashion trends of the day and are not deliberately seeking the attention of males. I’m not saying all skimpily dressed women are ignorant of their charms because that’d be false. In fact, many are expert in exhibiting their feminine wiles and attributes to attract male attention.

Still, aren’t there some who are like lambs? Are there some women who are unaware of the sexual interest they attract, those who are sending out signals that they aren’t aware of? Are there times when women are taken advantage of by men who misread their signals?

4 comments:

Putz said...

YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT SORT OF A BLOG ALL OF A SUDDEN....KIND OF LIKE IT BETTER BECAUSE NOW IT IS LIKE MINE, AND MINE HAS ALWAYS BEEN BETTER....thank good ness for old age, because it is easier to run and stay away from the sort of thing david had to contend wit...i feel so sorry for all david lost....he had it basically made

Jayne said...

Putz, I'm so delighted that you like the blog and that you made a comment. Thanks! Yes, I always felt a little sorry for David as well. I think he lamented his choices all the days of his life.

persistentillusion said...

"Why was she on the rooftop bathing instead of the privacy of her own home?"

Maybe they had rain collection systems up there or something.

Have you ever seen the movie "Kate & Leopold"? There is this really great scene where Leopold tells Kate's boss that 'to court a woman in one's employ is a serpentine effort to turn a lady into a whore'.

A king with a mandate from heaven would be doing that on steroids.

Jayne said...

Hayden, Yay! I'm so glad you posted something on this blog. It seems to have more of a theme going than the other one, and I feel more comfortable posting things of a religious or spiritual perspective.

Anyway, back to Bathsheba. I wasn't second guessing her motives. From what I can gather, it wasn't something she did on a daily basis with good old soap and warm water but rather something she did as sort of a monthly cleansing. And you're probably right about a rain collection system or something.

No, I've never seen that movie, but it's on my list. I keep seeing it showing up in blogs and figure it's time to check it out for myself. Great quote from there...and great line from you about the steroids. While I think David was much beloved by God, I don't think He approved of David's behavior.