Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Vashti and Esther

My sister-in-law Karen and I were chatting about her many goings-on the other evening, and she mentioned a Bible study that she’s participating in. I asked her what she was studying, and when she said Esther, that really aroused my interest.

“I really don’t know that much about her,” I said. “All I know is that she was the one who married the king after he divorced his wife, the one who wouldn’t come out and show herself to a group of male revelers.”

“Can you blame her?” Karen asked. “Some people wonder if the king expected Vashti to come out wearing nothing but a crown. After all, he was ‘merry with wine.’”

As Karen and I talked some more, I realized that I actually knew more than I thought I did…but not as much as I want to know. So tonight I’m taking the plunge. I’m going to First Baptist to learn more about Queen Esther, the queen who was brave enough risk her life to save her people. Her words, if I recall (too lazy to get out my scriptures) correctly, were, “If I perish, I perish.” I’m also hoping to learn more about Vashti, the queen who said no to the king’s request. She must have been one brave lady, and I think there’s a lesson or two to be learned from her as well.

The scriptures are replete with these wonderful, meaty stories, and all of them (in my opinion) contain layers of lessons. Right now I'm thinking of Vashti's refusal. Was she anxious about repercussions? Was she arrogant? Did the other women applaud her refusal to go before the king, or were they afraid for her? Is there a message there for women today?

Time is short. I need to get ready "for class." I just love taking classes and learning new things and gaining insight, especially into spiritual matters.

No comments: