Friday, August 19, 2011

Gifts Differing

I walked into the library and met my friend Sue coming out. She was armed with some books about sewing and quilting and was super excited about a new project she's beginning. She facilitates a “sit and sew” class at church occasionally, and although I’ve never been, I think it must be fun for the people who attend. You know who I’m talking about, the ones who are talented with a needle, thread, and fabric. Not this gal. I went through a season of it, but at the moment, I have other things on my plate.

I was a little afraid that Sue was going to encourage me to come to her class, but she didn’t. Maybe she’s given up on me, or maybe she’s added so much more to her own platter that she doesn’t have time to teach the class anymore. Whatever the reason, she didn’t bring it up. Instead we talked about writing, and I think she and her husband are going to organize some ideas they have and put them in a book. We chatted about e-publishing before parting ways.

Since my encounter with Sue, I’ve been thinking about many of the women I know and their various gifts.
  • Kitty can do just about anything, but right now she’s into genealogy and regularly teaches a class about finding ancestors.
  • Connie, my artistic friend, can draw and take gorgeous photographs.
  • So can Christi, a young friend who has her own photography business.
  • Elizabeth and Kelly are middle school teachers. My hat is off to them!
  • My husband’s mother and sister are two of the best cooks in the South. Me? I’d give myself between a C and a low B.
  • My husband’s daughters were star athletes when they were younger, and I couldn't hit a basketball with a softball bat, much less that tiny little ball.
  • My niece Katherine can open her mouth, and music comes out. It’s incredible.
  • My daughter-in-law Amanda can play the piano like nobody’s business.
What I’m getting at is that it’s okay to be who we are without having to make excuses for who or what we are not. For evidence, all we have to do is look at a few of the women in the Bible. Rachel was beautiful, and although her sister Leah wasn’t, Leah gave birth to six of Jacob’s sons. Is beauty overrated? Deborah was a judge. Good for Deborah. The world needs women who are judges. It also needs women who can sing, sew, take pictures, prepare meals, play basketball, run businesses, write, dance, grow flowers, can vegetables, and teach children of the next generation.
I can’t sing or teach small children, at least not very well. I feel inadequate when I read about the virtuous woman in Proverbs who could do everything with aplomb and apparent ease. I’m not her, and neither are you, but who we are is fine.

2 comments:

Putz said...

also we need women who are mechanics, engineers etc ect etc<><><>of course it would be nice if they were all mothers also

Connie said...

Jayne, you have the gift of words and intelligence and lots of other gifts as well. I am catching up on my blog reading...as always I am pleased I came by for a visit here!