Monday, January 5, 2009

Mary's Strength

Can't believe it's been over a month since I've posted anything on this blog. Actually, I began to get a little discouraged because no one except for Connie and Putz ever responded. Connie, devoted friend that she is, gently told me that it might be because the posts were hard to understand and that people didn't know what to say. She's probably right. I think I might have "overthought" them. So tonight, I'm going to post something relatively short and simple about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

After re-reading the Christmas story several times during the recent holidays, I found myself thinking of how lonely she must have been. There's no record of her talking to her parents, a friend, or Joseph (until later). She and Gabriel talked briefly, and then he too disappeared. Since he had told her about her cousin Elisabeth, Mary traveled to see her, and as we know, Elisabeth's baby John moved within her, and she knew that Mary was carrying the Savior. Still, the information is scanty. Did the two women talk? Was she afraid? Excited?

After John the Baptist was born, Mary returned to her home and had to "face the music." Joseph loved her and wanted to do the right thing, and yet....When the angel appeared to him in a dream, he knew he had been right in beleiving that his betrothed was a woman of honor. Still, the two of them had no one to talk to except each other, and although they'd both had heavenly visitations, it must have still been a bit awkward at times.

She was so young, so courageous, so full of faith. I think of the scores of women I've known of all ages, shapes, sizes, and backgrounds who've been "with child," and I can't recall even one of them who didn't share aspects of her pregnancy with others. Sometimes it was a particular discomfort or perhaps a fear, but the fact is that there was someone to talk to. Mary had no one...and wow, what a sacred secret she carried.

4 comments:

Putz said...

mary is another like eve who are godesses in every single way, leadership, even good dressers, i vision them both as perfect in body and elegant in their bearing..i am sure you do to

Jayne said...

Yes, I agree. I think that although we all have a "divine nature," Mary was surely extraordinary in every way to have been chosen as Christ's mother.

Connie said...

I thought I meant...they were so well written it was hard to think of anything to add!!!

I wish I were a little more Mary!

Jayne said...

Thanks for commenting, Connie. I wish I had a little more Mary in me too. I mean, when Gabriel came to visit her, she asked him how it could be that she was carrying a child since she hadn't known a man, and after that (as far as we know), she kept the secret until she saw Elisabeth. I, on the other hand, feel the need to talk, talk, talk with my girlfriends.