Friday, February 26, 2010

When You Stand With Me


Last night's introduction/orientation to Celestial University was awesome. I realize that awesome is probably an overworked word these days, but honestly, it fits here. I'm sitting here this morning wondering what to major in and whether I should pursue the terminal degree or stop after the BA. I'm also remembering Sophia's beautiful and seemingly effortless yoga demonstration. Loved the fruit too...and the numerous conversations with the women there, some zany and some serious and some artsy. Rather than create something new about Relief Society this morning, I decided to go to Musings of a Missionary Mom and find a entry that I could copy and paste.

Before pasting the entry, I also want to mention the first couple of lines from a hymn we're learning in our stake: "I may be one, but one becomes two when you stand with me and I stand with you." When put with the melody, those words and the others in the song are absolutely soul stirring. While I think of all of the women in this worldwide organization when hearing this song, I also think of my precious daughters and daughter-in-law. The picture above is of Carrie and Amanda modeling their aprons at Christmas.

Okay, here goes: "I love Relief society. That's no secret to anyone who knows me, church member or not. The first time I attended was one Sunday morning three decades ago when the teacher was teaching a cultural Refinement lesson on Sri Lanka. "Huh? What is this?" I wondered. It seemed too good to be true...just like school but no tests. Plus, I loved the variety of women in the room, old and young, short and tall, rich and poor, single and married. We had one thing in common: we were all daughters of a Heavenly Father who loved us, and among our many roles in life were those to love, support, and encourage one another.

That was many years ago, and the curriculum has changed to more accurately reflect the church's growing and increasingly diverse membership. We don't have Cultural Refinement lessons anymore,and yet we always learn something useful, edifying, or inspirational in our meetings. The topics vary from stress management and keeping an orderly home to the necessity of prayer and the importance of scripture study. I've never come away without learning something that would improve the quality not only of my own life but those of my family, friends, and acquaintances.

As an example, in my develometnalal psychology classes, a frequently occuring topic is discipline. While it's helpful to know that assertive discipline is effective and that a parent should be consistent, fair, and immediate in administering consequences, the advice of Brigham Young that I picked up in a Sunday meething has proven most helpful to me: "Bring up your children in the love and fear of the Lord; study their dispositons and their temperaments, and deal with them accordingly, never allowing yourself to correct them in the heat of yor passion; teach them to love you rather than to fear you."'

For those of you who were in attendance last night, you might be interested in knowing that I've already begun working on the theology requirement for the degree. Still haven't decided on my major yet. Is there an academic advisor out there??

6 comments:

Connie said...

I am doing physical fitness and psychology...I found with the others I already do so much...I wanted a challenge :)

Connie said...

p.s. did you get the aprons...I remember when everyone wore aprons! I have some "vintage" aprons in the attic somewhere :)

Putz said...

well i'll have to admit that you gals have so much more to learn than us priesthood holders you need your releif socitety to get a head start on usins, and connie stay away from that phychology{really}:::::we had an lds sunday school teacher that told us in a class that the lord used a bell curve to grade all of us once we got to heaven, and then maryT teach taold me no hes uses a frenic frame to jusdge us all< ha ah ha

Jayne said...

Connie, I'm tempted to cheat a little and go for the psychology, fine arts, and social sciences since I basically already have them. But then again, maybe I should go for the home arts. Is that the one that includes painting or wallpapering a room?

No, we didn't get any aprons. However, if you have one, I'd LOVE one.

Jayne said...

Putz, are you saying we're so behind you that we have to work extra hard??? Surely you jest!

Putz said...

surely i jest