Monday, August 23, 2010

Vashti Said No

Today I saw a young man with his jeans so low that I caught more than a glimpse of his blue anded plaid boxer shorts. I wonder if this is a new trend, having your under garments coordinate with your outer ones. Seems like I read a couple of years ago that women’s bra straps should blend or at least complement tank top colors. Gee whiz. Why not just make sure the under garments stay underneath???

All these sights have reminded me of Queen Vashti in the book of Esther. Everyone applauds Esther (and rightly so) for her courage in going before King Ahasuerus, but rarely do people have much to say about Vashti, the lady who sat on the throne before Esther came on the scene. Vashti, like Esther, risked everything she had in her communication with the king, and she paid a big price for it.

In a nutshell, there had been much merrymaking in the land for quite a while, 100 and fourscore days. After this time, Ahasuerus held yet another weeklong feast, one for the men and one for the women. From what I can glean from the scriptures, there was drinking and revelry among the men. On the 7th day, the king sent for his queen, Vashti, so that she could “shew the people and the princes her beauty.” She refused, and the king was “very wroth.”

I wasn’t there, and my only information is from the scriptures themselves and from some commentaries that I’ve read. My understanding of the events, however, is that perhaps Ahasuerus intended for Vashti to parade around in front of the drunken crowd. Rather than expose herself to leering gawkers, she said no. It would have been easier for her to go along, to be a good sport, but Vashti was courageous enough to say no. She must have known that there would be a consequence, but it didn’t matter. The scriptures tell us that anger burned in Ahasuerus, and at the prompting of his advisors, he gave her “royal estate to another.”

It might be a stretch, but I can see the application of the principles of modesty and courage in the world today. Why do people, men and women alike, bare shoulders, breasts, and midriffs for any and everyone to view? Why do young men feel the need to have their undies showing? Is it because of the need to be fashionable and to fit in? Doesn’t it take more courage to cover up and say NO to the wearing of revealing apparel than to give in to the popular trends of today?

What price will you pay to keep your throne? Will you say no to immodesty and immorality even if it costs you your popularity? Or will you go along with the world’s “look” to be accepted and popular?

4 comments:

Tricia Williams said...

I believe a lot of immodesty comes from not valuing one's self properly. Of course, there is the influence of media and peers, but no amount of negative influence should replace the concept that your body should be respected by yourself and others.

Tricia Williams said...

and in response to your question, I suppose for a teen it does take courage. But it SHOULDN'T!

Jayne said...

Thanks for your comments, Tricia. About the teen and the courage thing, someone recently pointed out to me that the most frequent instruction (?) in the Bible is to have courage, be not afraid, etc. I didn't believe her, so I googled it for myself and found out it was true!

Unknown said...

That is a story that has always troubled me, too.


And I always wonder at the ending... does that mean Vashti was deposed... like, executed?

Esther was quite a courageous person to be dealing with someone with such changeable and narcissistic tendencies.

ANd Vashti did what any self-respecting woman would. Though in that situation... yes, it took a lot of courage, I have to agree with you. Would I do the same? I honestly don't know.