Wednesday, May 20, 2009

For Connie

My friend Connie said that if I wrote one more Esther post, she’d comment on it. I’m hoping she was serious because someone needs to comment on this blog!

Yesterday an acquaintance of mine came by the office for me to sign some papers, and during our meeting, we began talking about issues unrelated to the business at hand. Nothing personal…just stuff besides the boring but important things related to the difference between conservative and moderate investments.

From our conversation, I perceived that this man had a spiritual side unknown to me until this time. Sure, DH and I had had many conversations about how much we liked and trusted him, how he was such a “good guy.” Still, I was surprised and pleased at the turn in our conversation. One of the things Mike mentioned is that he had a friend who was soon to have some pretty serious surgery. Nervous and afraid, he told Mike that he dreaded the procedure and feared what the results might be. Mike’s response was to tell his friend something like this, “Buddy, the man upstairs is still in control. You and I can fret and bite our fingernails and lose sleep, but that’s not going to change anything. He’s in charge, and no matter what happens, He’ll be with you."

Do you know where I’m going with this? Yes, another Esther post! During the Esther course, one night our presenter told us to think about the phrase, “If I perish, I perish” and to think of one of the worst, scariest things that might happen to us. When we got that image in mind, then we were to substitute Esther’s words with something like, “If __________________ , then God.” No matter what happens, He will be there. He didn’t say things would be easy or that we wouldn’t experience loss, fear, pain, heartache, or illness. He just said to trust in Him and that He’d be there.

Since this blog is about what lessons we can learn from women in the Bible, I thought Mike’s conversation with his friend fit perfectly here. Like Esther, if we perish, then we do. If the procedure reveals something scary, then we trust God…and pray.

4 comments:

Putz said...

i beat connie to this blog, didn't i...?????i had my diabetis doctor tell me something the opposite....he said we had everything to do with our age...in faact he said when you get to 45 , physical age has nothing to do with age....he said he has seen 88 year old men with the age of that 45 and 45 year old men who are 88, and the control was in their hands

Jayne said...

Yes, you sure did beat her to the punch. I agree with your doctor in that our mental, psychological, and spiritual outlook have a huge influence on our bodies.

BYU Women's Services said...

This message is so absent from our society today. We are constantly trying to control our lives--work, school, kids, whatever. And while planning and ACTING are important, I love that quote about the man upstairs still being in charge.

I've been learning a lot about this in my life lately--nice to see someone else has thought about it too.
Thanks for this post!

Connie said...

It would be unseemly to read this and not comment! LOL I truly love the phrase If ---- then God.
It is a good reminder. I have truly enjoyed all the Esther posts and as I said I haven't been commenting b/c you have said it all and said it SO WELL! I read every time you post something!